Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tagliatelle al Cappesante con Basilico

Mid-autumn Fest is a big day for family and romance in this part of the world. Spare the romance, this year it is strictly a family affair for me. Mum, dad, sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews. All sit around, drinking tea, eating mooncakes, spending time with the moon. I can't possibly be alone, can I?

The fest actually started last weekend. Two great friends/neighbours, Tracey and Linux, first came for dinner. They come around quite often for tea or casual dining. But this time it was a little more serious. We're all crazy about crabs. So I made a big one. But this blog has been stuffed with crabs of late. I have decided to save it for a better slot.

Then came another great friend, Laimun. She brought along a beautiful bottle of Aussie white, all the way from Melbourne (technically the wine is a Margaret River's chardonnay from Western Australia). Unfortunately it wasn't chilled. I decided to keep it for the next occasion and settled ourselves with something less glamorous. Still, I reckon I was drinking too much. I was making tagliatelle with prawns and sadly it didn’t turn out well, not even on photos. So, I’m not gonna show it here either.

What am I left with? Myself and a bunch of basil...

I'm gonna name here another great friend/neighbour. She is unequivocally my lifeline in the last couple of years. Without her my life would have been miserable, unexciting and hopelessly tasteless. That beautiful basil that has appeared here not long ago was a masterpiece from Johanna! Yes, she grows basil. And she grows it on organic soil! Well, not just Johanna alone, I should say. The legendary GM5 is also part of the team. But, if GM5 were a gifted amateur, Johanna would be a pair of hands sent from God! (Sorry, GM5.)

Okay, enough said… I'm left with myself and a bunch of basil, freshly cut during the weekend… Let me tell you, this is the time when minimalist spirits are at their best.

To be continued…

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger GM5 said...

When it comes to organic farming, I admit I'm at best half-gifted.

Btw, it's really unfair to Johanna and me. While we keep on giving you freshly-riped organic herbs and vegetables, we haven't been invited for dinner for years.

7:31 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Hey, last time Laimun was here it was like 4-5 years ago. And some folks are already making bookings for 2010...

Don't worry. You and Johanna are my very great friends/neighbours here. I'm saving the best for last!

9:31 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

long time no see!

i've got a medium pot of growing coriander with me..and i put it on the window side..

is it gd for the plant to have sunshine or should i should keep it away from sunshine?

also, the pot itself is around 8cm tall..the plant is around 20 cm tall...and the whole thing is surrounded by a plastic bag...

i am not sure i should take the bag out or not..coz once i take it out..the coriander collapses... >_<

so..i just leave it as it is ...

wat can i do if i want to keep it alive for a long time?

water it much to keep it wet or just slight moist?

take the bag out?

keep it away from sunshine?

thanks a lot

11:24 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Coriander loves sunshine. You can grow it outdoor and take out the bag.

Happy planting, mimi!

11:35 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Hi mimi, howdy? How's life being back to the UK again? Already working hard towards the final huh?

Yes, coriander loves sunshine. What made you to grow it BTW? Do you do your own cooking now?

Work hard and be good. Come here only when you've finished your school work!

12:31 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi GM5,

thanks a lot for your advice! but then, do i need to keep it wet or just slightly moist?

also..a mosquito comes out once i take the bag off, do i need to do anything to make sure that the plant isn't with any pest?

Hi Kev,

i like coriander ma...i just give it a go when i cook curry or noodles. last nite, i made a fried noodle dish and a pot of congee...

very busy at the moment coz i have two part-time works with me..and lots of sch stuff to do >_<

i m going for VAT for dissertation.

btw, the last bite on MPF, i scored 75 and a Deloitte Prize with it. this must amaze you coz the work itself isn't that brilliant...just lucky that my lecturer isn't too familiar with HK MPF..

all the best with everyone. ^_^

btw, 35965047 is my 2B phone - you can call me at this number from your HK phone, no charge on you. everyone is welcome to give me a call! hahaha....plz everyone hints me on the VAT stuff

9:25 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Coriander needs soil that's well-drained. Water regularly but do not overwater Coriander as it does not like its roots to stand in water.

You may try growing Lemon Grass nearby as mosquitoes don't like its smell. :p

10:04 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi GM5,

thanks a lot for your advice!!!

3:53 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Hi mimi!

It didn't surprise me you scored well with your paper. Keep up good work!

Going into the final isn't easy. You gotta manage your time and resources extra well. If part-time work gets too demanding, you should consider quitting. You got too many chances to make money in the future.

Not sure what 2B phone is. Somebody says i can talk free on skype too. Anyway, will give a buzz by whatever means.

On VAT, yes! Let me start by saying VAT literally means Value-Added Tax. And it's a French invention!

Take care! Lots of love!

12:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Yeah, Skype is great! It's free if both users have skype accounts. You can also use Skypeout to call others' fixed lines / mobiles at very low cost.

1:17 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi hi,

2B phone is a broadband telephone. I've subscribed its service..so, I got a HK telephone number. You guys can call me at this HK number. I will answer your call when I have my 2B phone on. Of coz, 2B phone is only on when I switch my laptop on.

another thing is, I'm going to HK in Xmas.

crazy mi?

1:22 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Mimi, you work two jobs, compromise your time on study and end up spending all this money flying? Aiya, you'd better think again.

11:23 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev,

umm...I can understand wat you mean. I do agree with you. Just that..I am applying many jobs in HK..and hopefully will have some interviews in Xmas. and more importanly, I dun like the Xmas atmosphere in UK...

so, i am just trying to spilt my time between study and work, no leisure...i haven't been to city centre for ages, even it takes me only 10 mins to get to there.

4:42 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

That makes sense, mimi. But i think it is still unlikely employers would ask you for interviews in HK this time round. You may have to travel to london where there are probably some campus recruitments.

11:13 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Oh, BTW, thanks for the postcard. Love those red bricks!

11:40 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev,

hey, if you like the red bricks, you should come over with my mum upon my congregation next summer! The Clock Tower is the best place to take photos, my Business School is gorgeous too!

i just went to Goldman's presentation in campus after 6 hours of work. The presentation is great. But dun think i can get in anyway. Gotta do the aptitude test for HSBC... >_< absolutely no confidence in this thing coz it always fails.

My blog updated some photos in London. have a look.

3:14 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home