Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Banquet


Many would disagree but I think the old China is a better China.

The soil was cleaner. The water was clearer. The air was filled with scents, not fumes. Poultry didn't take steroids. Fishes weren't fed on antibiotics. Organic produces were the only thing to be taken for granted. Life was difficult but faces were more genuine and happiness came from within. Yes, growth has been spectacular. So is the cost. Sustainability is at best a concept, not a reality.

This picture was taken some twenty years ago when I was released for holiday from secondary school. These days it only takes two hours to get there (Dongguan). Those days it required nearly a day.

I was stealing my brother's manual camera (Nikon FM2). Immaculate but painfully heavy for a small kid. Those days there were only films. So this picture holds a degree of authenticity that just comes naturally with it, although I have now converted it into digital.

The backdrop is a typical courtyard in a Chinese village. The folks at the back were making food for my cousin's wedding banquet. Those days there were no restaurants in a village. Banquets always took place in an open area. You would find dogs and chickens chasing round your feet while sipping your soup. Those days banquets were far more environmental-friendly as shark fins would never appear on the menu.

The face in front is my nephew, who is not much younger than me. A camera was something highly exotic in these surroundings. Whenever you held it up, kids would throw you a ton of curiosity.

I miss the old China.



Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great image!

http://bloggerhelpdesk.blogspot.com/

11:30 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Thanks Peter!

Your blog is very handy. Just what I, as a novice, need.

Happy blogging!

11:53 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wawawa...

我今日整0左刀削麵,好好食. ^_^

-----------------------

我好仰慕你呀,d英文...

哈哈哈~~~

3:09 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

学人玩削麵啊, 小心整親手噃. 有冇影相呢?

6:07 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Interesting. I had never been to a banquet like this.

7:48 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Hey Kev Suk Suk,

Dunno why I can't publish new post on my blog tonight. Do you know if there is any limit on the file size in blogger?

11:02 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Jeh Jeh, i have problems republishing... keep getting this message...

There were errors. (Hide details ...)
001 java.net.ConnectException: Connection refusedblog/43/33/12/minimalistcooking/archives/2006_10_01_minimalistcooking_archive.html

Try asking Peter up there!

11:57 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

I guess there's something wrong with blogger. I have tried republishing posts on my other blogs and got similar error messages. Anyway, have asked for help from the helpdesk. Let's see if they can help. Thanks, Suk Suk.

12:03 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

??? Is there something you really have to post it today, grand-ma?

12:41 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

刀削麵 is on my blog.

mime14.mysinablog.com

9:08 AM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Suk Suk, it works now.

9:50 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading your article,
all i could say -
"simple life is the best"

but sadly, the world keeps changing.

China is forced to change...
Her door is open...
Lots of problems occur...

12:13 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

ll? Ling Ling, is that you?

9:56 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kev, your post on The Banquet is beautifully written. I love it! The black and white picture is magnificent. The boy in this picture looks like my nephew.

9:21 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Thanks, Icecat! Your "French Asian Food in Seoul Kitchen" is very inspiring too. What's next at your blog? I really look forward to it.

10:35 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home