Saturday, June 02, 2007

Yin, Yang and Yam

"Don’t take the silence of the yams as a sign that they have nothing valuable to say about health."

Those yams have been left cold on the bench. The whole month of June has just been hectic!

I don't remember when exactly yams became a regular part of my diet. According to
the fanatic cook, yams are highly nutritious. Each cup of yam contains almost 7g of fiber, a nice amount when we are working towards 30 or 40g a day. And, what's even more amazing is how much beta carotene it contains. There's no RDA for beta carotene, but 12mg is thought to provide enough vitamin A. A cup of yam gives you 23mg already! Beta carotene does two jobs. First, it can be converted into vitamin A, whose benefits include good vision, bone health, immunity and moist glowing skin. Second, it roams the body scavenging free radicals, effectively acting as an antioxidant.

Yam is quite filling. A small piece of it can well serve half of my dinner. So, after a hectic day of work, I eat a piece of yam along with simple stuff like a small bowl of noodles. Baking a yam is a good simple idea but I prefer something more soothing. A yam soup dessert always finds its place on my dining table.

It's a very Cantonese way to make it. The ginger and the brown sugar go just perfectly well with yams.

Get those purple ones if you can. Their succulence can drive you mad. Go for the yellow ones if you want those starchy egg-yolk touches in your mouth.

Peel off the skin and chop the yam into chewable pieces. Bring them to the boil for 15 mins with generous slices of ginger. Add a chunk of brown sugar, give it another 5 and it's done!

In Chinese philosophy, we have yin to represent the female principle of the universe (dark and negative) and yang to do the male side (light and positive). That silent, delicate spectrum inbetween... I think we literally call it yam!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Dilly Dally said...

有啲取巧喎

12:05 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

咩呀, 边度?

12:58 AM GMT+8  
Blogger Dilly Dally said...

扮有update

12:26 AM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Bro, work harder lah!

1:55 PM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Dear fans,

I'll be here again... as soon as my boss lets his grip off my neck :(

Meanwhile, enjoy the music I've selected for you!

k e V

P.S. anywhere hiring by the way?

8:45 PM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

Be considerate. Don't eat too much yam!

12:23 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Yam is good and healthy. I'll explain it to you.

1:12 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Amy said...

people in the restaurant (much discontented): wei wei, anything more to come out from the kitchen? why does the chef have to cook so long? it's been a week's time since your last dish!

Are u going to update this blog, chef?

1:57 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

aiya, feeling the pressure now... Gimme a few more days. Some bottlenecks need to be cleared first.

Meanwhile, please visit GM5's blog. She's got some sexy photos to show!

6:35 PM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev,

are u in HK now? I've sth for you from my trip to phuket.

NAm ma

12:34 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

Yes, i'm having a holiday at home now. You have something for me from Phuket? Catch me anytime please.

11:08 AM GMT+8  
Blogger GM5 said...

What about me, Nam ma???

1:52 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Amy said...

how can i catch you, Uncle kev?
I don't even have your number!

For Gm5,

you'll be just about to know what you can get after Uncle Kev receive my souvenir.

Nam ma

3:00 AM GMT+8  
Blogger kEV said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:16 AM GMT+8  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, uncle Kev. I've got your no. please delete it asap.

Nam-ma

11:24 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home